Six Dozen Roses – Juliet Cap, Necklace & Earrings
I have been wanting to design a wedding set of Juliet Cap, necklace and earrings for some time, but I had to go through my supplies and think about it for awhile before deciding on a concept. I usually make a big mess while working on my creations so when I was clearing up one day, I was thinking about roses. I love roses because of romance and it doesn’t take much thinking about them before I become inspired. So white roses was going to be my concept.
My Design Notes.
I decided to design the necklace first and sat with pencil, scissors and cardboard and came up with a shape I liked. Then I cut it out in buckram and wired around the edges. I didn’t want the necklace edges to curl up, so wiring was appropriate. I left extra wire at the tops so that I could bend it into the right shape and hand sew it down.
I want to share my latest scissors with you. Kim bought them for me at Target 75% off because of the wire cutting area built in them. What a great deal! I constantly keep two items beside my sewing machine when adding wire onto buckram. Scissors to cut thread and pliers to cut the wire. These scissors are made by Singer and I love them because I eliminated one tool and they do a wonderful job. I am always tempted by using scissors for cutting millinery wire but know that would be the end of my scissors. Now I cut whatever I want to without thinking.
Once my necklace was finished, I cut satin with extra fabric around the edge. Then I clipped all around and attached it to the frame by gluing the extra fabric on the back side.
Then I cut white lace and overlaid it on the satin.
Here you can see the base piece of the necklace.
I wanted to use pearls with the white roses and had two pearl sprays I had purchased in a wedding department. The pearls are attached randomly on layers of fishing line, so I hand sewed them onto the edge of my necklace by pulling them together. You can see a strand I hadn’t used so that you know what it looks like.
Then I hand sewed ready made ribbon roses to cover the entire surface. It took thirty-three roses and a lot of time to sew them on. Before I put the last two on the top, I attached 2 o-rings which I could add my chain onto later.
Juliet cap. I covered my frame in exactly the same way I covered the necklace, using white satin and a lace overlay.
Then I added another strand of pearls and larger purchased white roses. It took thirty-eight roses to cover this cap.
I finished the necklace by adding silver metal chain and a heart shape clasp. Then I made earrings using 2 roses and pearl drops.
I lightly padded the backs of both pieces and covered them with white satin. I finished the edges with white French gimp and added my label.
Now you can see both pieces without a veil. This ensemble could be worn without a veil for a casual wedding.
I made a veil (see my last blog) and attached it in my mannequin’s hair, then put my Juliet Cap over it, just covering the comb piece.
Here you can see better. Both pieces are separate but you would not know it because of the way I designed the cap.
Here you can see a side/back view.
Time for a tea break.